Outside Agencies

Washtenaw County Building Department
705 N Zeeb Road. Ann Arbor, MI 48103. 734-222-3900
Building Permits. A permit is a license which grants legal permission to start construction of a building project. Before any construction or remodeling work begins, application for a permit must be made. For more information, contact Washtenaw County Building Department. 

 Water Resources Commissioner’s Office
705 N Zeeb Road, Ann Arbor, MI, 48103. 734-222-6860
Drain Use Permits: Crossing, modifying, discharging to a county drain or any work within a county drain easement requires a permit from the Washtenaw County Water Resources Commissioner.

Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control: Find out about Soil Erosion, view Washtenaw County's SESC Ordinance, view SESC Standards or report an issue.
Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Permit. If you are building within 500 feet of surface water (lakes, ponds, streams, drains, wetlands) and disturbing 225 square feet or more OR if you are disturbing more than one acre of land, you must have this permit. Earth changes less than 225 square feet in total earth disturbance may be eligible for a waiver. 

Washtenaw County's Stormwater Discharge Permit: Washtenaw County is one of several Huron River Partners working collaboratively on implementing several of the permit requirements. The collaborative approach is designed to accomplish stormwater quality improvements and provide an added benefit of cost sharing for some stormwater controls.

Washtenaw County Environmental Health Department
705 N Zeeb Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48103. 734-222-3800.  
Septic Systems: In areas where municipal water and sewer services are not available, homeowners must rely on well and sewage (septic) systems to meet their needs.
Water Wells: In areas where public water supply is not available, homeowners must install a well to pump groundwater to their home. In addition, wells are installed for monitoring contamination sites and for providing geothermal energy.

For more information on well and septic permits, click here

The Loch Alpine Sanitary Authority (LASA)
827 N.Zeeb Rd.  Ann Arbor, MI. 48103
LASA is a public utility providing water and sewer services to the communities of Loch Alpine, Glen Devon and North Delhi Hills. LASA operates totally independent of LAIA. The LASA Board is made up of three Trustees from both Scio and Webster Townships and a representative selected by the LAIA Board.   
For water or sewer emergencies (backups or leaks) call 248.433.8904

Portage - Base Lakes Area Water & Sewer Authority (PBSLA)
10405 Merrill Rd, PO Box 726, Hamburg, MI 48139. 810.231.5600
PBSLA provides sanitary sewer services to properties in and around Portage and Base Lakes in Washtenaw and Livingston Counties in the State of Michigan USA. Sewer Emergencies: Call 810-217-6085

Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy
Any impacts to wetlands or water bodies may require a permit from EGLE. For more information, click here.
Check out Environmental Resources on Township website for useful links

Huron River Watershed Council

Michigan Department of Natural Resources

Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development
Constitution Hall, 6th Floor, 525 W. Allegan Street, P.O. Box 30017, Lansing, MI 48909
Right to Farm Resources. Find related programs, laws, acts and codes, as well as additional resources related to Right to Farm.
Generally Accepted Agricultural and Management Practices (GAAMPs) are guidelines for farm management that help promote a positive image of Michigan agriculture. 

Water Mark-EGLE
Homeowners and contractors must attain a permit for a project, especially if it is for a permanent dock, boat hoists, dredging, sand filling and shoreline stabilization. To learn more, check out the EGLE Video Series here at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XO_6ti0jVM